Zainab bint Abu Salama (Allah be pleased with her) reported:
I went to Umm Habiba, the wife of Allah's Apostle (May Allah bless him and grant him pece), when her father Abu Sufyan had died. Umm Habiba sent for a perfume having yellowness in it or something else like it, and she applied it to a girl and then rubbed it on her cheeks and then said: By Allah, I need no perfume but for the fact that I heard Allah's Messenger (May Allah bless him and grant him pece) say on the pulpit:" It is not permissible for a woman believing in Allah and the Hereafter to mourn for the dead beyond three days, but (in case of the death) of the husband it is permissible for four months and ten days." Zainab said: I then visited Zainab hint Jahsh (Allah be pleased with her) when her brother died and she sent for perfume and applied it and then said: By Allah, I don't feel any need for the perfume but that I heard Allah's Messenger (May Allah bless him and grant him pece) say on the pulpit:" It is not permissible for a woman believing in Allah and the Hereafbler to mourn the dead beyond three days except in case of her husband (for whom she can mourn) for four months and ten days." Zainab (Allah be pleased with her) said: I heard my mother Umm Salama (Allah be pleased with her) as saying: A woman came to Allah's Messenger (May Allah bless him and grant him pece) and said: Allah's Messenger. I have a daughter whose husband has died and there has developed some trouble in her eye; should we apply collyrium to it? Thereupon Allah's Messenger (May Allah bless him and grant him pece) said: No (repeating it twice or thrice, saying only, NO" all the time). Then he said: It is only four mouths and ten days, whereas in the preIslamic period none of you threw away the dung until one year had passed. Humaid said: I said to Zainab: What is this throwing of dung until a year is passed? Zainab said: When the husband of a woman died, she went into a hut and put on her worst clothes, and did not apply perfume or something like it until a year was over. Then an animal like a donkey, or a goat, or a bird was brought to her and she rubbed her hand over it, and it so happened that one on which she rubbed her hand died. She then came out of her house and she was given dung and she threw it and then she made use of anything like perfume or something else as she liked.
Benefits from this narration:
1. A woman mourns for her husband for four months and ten days.
2. A woman mourns for relatives for three days.
3. After three days it is necessary to declare that she came out of the mourning by sprinkling fragrance or some other adornment.
4. It is also not possible to rub the antimony during mourning. Similarly, other makeup is not possible.
5. During the time of ignorance the mourning period was one year. There the woman was sitting in a cramped and dark room, dressed in the worst of clothes, being dirty, without letting anything touch her. A year later, an animal was brought to the woman to clear all the bad happen from her. She wiped her shameful body on it. The animal died from the effects of dirt and stench. Then they made the woman throw dung as a symbol of goodbye.
Anyway ignorance is ignorance. Otherwise, by what intelligence can this be done? The ignorance of the present does not fall behind before.
Now let's look at the Islamic mourning.
Narrated Um 'Atiyya:
We were forbidden to mourn for more than three days for a dead person, except for a husband, for whom a wife should mourn for four months and ten days (while in the mourning period) we were not allowed to put kohl in our eyes, nor perfume our-selves, nor wear dyed clothes, except a garment of 'Asb (special clothes made in Yemen).
Benefits from this narration:
1. A woman whose relative is dead should not mourn for more than three days.
2. A woman whose husband is dead should not mourn for more than four months and ten days or less.
3. A woman in mourning should not rub fragrance.
4. A woman in mourning is not allowed to use perfume.
5. A woman in mourning must not wear dyed clothes over its original paint.